Girls On the Rise
Girls On The Rise is a strengths-based in-school approach to mentorship which is intended to cultivate a social environment that effectively competes with risk-taking norms of young girls. Inspiring girls to be powerful, sharp, and courageous rests heavily on girls having access to positive peer interactions, caring and supportive relationships, an affirming safe environment where they can thrive and pursue self-discovery. This safe environment helps them to better meet their most critical needs for belonging, self-worth, competency, perseverance, purpose, and meaningful identities.
This program uses the evidence-based curriculum created by Girls Circle Research. This program brings extensive experience from mental health, social emotional, trauma-recovery, and youth development facilitators.
Girls On The Rise is the sister program to our Young Men Rise program and provides an inclusive environment that honors cultural, family, social emotional beliefs and incorporates aspects of cultural practices in the program.
Girls On The Rise focuses on three core values: self-awareness, confidence, and respect.
We are girls, rising above any obstacle, discovering the uniqueness of self,
We are girls, rising above stereotypes, redefining ourselves positively
We are girls, raising pass barriers and growing into womanhood
We are girls, rising to the top and determined to achieve goals
We are GIRLS ON THE RISE
“There is no force more powerful than a woman determined to rise.” –W.E.B. Dubois
Youth can reclaim their hidden, disconnected, emotions, and hereby increase their capacities for healthy risk-taking. Together, they engage positive resources and assets toward developing a safer, more sustainable female identity.
Girls On The Rise offers girls and young women access to the strengths and resources of their community to reduce risks and to develop healthy and culturally positive identities and pathways to womanhood.
- • 60 minutes per session
- • 10 sessions
- • 15 - 20 youth of similar developmental age
- • 1 adult female facilitator
- • Physically, culturally, and emotionally safe; protected, confidential
- • Co-created group guidelines and expectations based on mutual respect, caring, inclusion, confidentiality
- • Legal, ethical guideline
Relational-Cultural Theory & integrates complementary approaches
- • Resiliency Theory; Strengths/Assets-based
- • Female Responsive; Femininity Identity development
- • Gender-Transformative: critically explores cultural norms, stereotypes
- • Preventative and Restorative
- • Adolescent Brain Development
- • Trauma-Informed, Trauma- Responsive
- • Motivational Interviewing
- • Rites of Passage
- • Positive Youth Development
Download Girls On The Rise Information Packet
If you have a question that has not been answered in this section, please CONTACT US with your question and we will get back to you promptly. Thank you for your consideration and we look forward to meeting your child and family.
PO Box 62215
North Charleston, SC 29483