Young Men Rise
WHAT IS YOUNG MEN RISE?
Young Men Rise is a strengths-based in-school approach to mentorship which is intended to cultivate a social environment that effectively competes with risk-taking norms of young men and better meets their most critical needs for belonging, self-worth, competency, acceptance, purpose, and meaningful identities.
This program uses the evidence-based curriculum created by The Council for Boys and Young Men Research in addition to the experience that Lowcountry Youth Services has gained in the field of youth development since its inception in 2010.
Young Men Rise provides an inclusive environment that honors cultural, family, and spiritual beliefs and incorporates aspects of cultural practices in the program.
Youth can reclaim their hidden, disconnected, emotions, and hereby increase their capacities for healthy risk-taking. Together, they engage positive resources and assets toward developing a safer,more sustainable male identity.
Young Men Rise offers boys and young men access to the strengths and resources of their community to reduce risks and to develop healthy and culturally positive identities and pathways to manhood.
- 60 minutes per session
- 10 sessions
- 15 - 20 youth of similar developmental age
- 1 adult male facilitator
- Physically, culturally, and emotionally safe; protected, confidential
- Co-created group guidelines and expectations based in mutual respect, caring, inclusion, confidentiality
- Legal, ethical guidelines
Relational-Cultural Theory & integrates complementary approaches:
- Resiliency Theory; Strengths/Assets-based
- Male Responsive; Masculinity Identity development
- Gender-Transformative: critically explores cultural norms, stereotypes
- Preventative and Restorative
- Adolescent Brain Development
- Trauma-Informed, Trauma- Responsive
- Motivational Interviewing
- Rites of Passage
- Positive Youth Development
If you have a question that has not been answered in this section, please CONTACT US with your question and we will get back to you promptly. Thank you for your consideration and we look forward to meeting your child and family.
PO Box 62215
North Charleston, SC 29483